March 3, 2010

"Off the Deep End...Defined"

Greetings from the deep end!
Definitions are the key to successful communication. Specifically, if I write a word in a context that means something different to me than it does to say, my reader, all communication is lost in confusion or misunderstanding. Why bring this up? Because if I am going to write from "off the deep end" we all certainly had better know what I mean by "off the deep end". If I am going to refer to myself as a, "self proclaimed lunatic", we all had better know what that means to me. Not necessarily by the dictionary definition, or by normal contextual definitions. Just like the word "respect" doesn't mean "do what I tell you when I tell you, without question", though contextually, "respect" often does mean that. When I write the word "respect" I often mean, "look at things from my view point and see that I am trying to do the best I can in this situation the best that I know how". That is one of the great problems with E-Communication. There are no tones, no facial expressions, and no little chuckles in our voices. The reader doesn't know that the writing was done with a sarcastic tone or body language. Things that are meant to be serious are often taken as farce and things that are meant to be satirical are often taken seriously. It is my greatest wish at this moment that the reader knows that while my topics are often serious to me; my writing tone is often sarcastic or satirical.
All of that is said to get to this point...."Off the Deep End". One definition of the idiom is to be "irrationally carried away". I think that it would be safe to say at this point that anyone who has known me for more than a day would agree that I am often "irrationally carried away", or that I live in a state of having been "irrationally carried away". I might even go so far as to say that one day when I was in my teen years I was rationally carried away for a time, then, rather than returning to a, "not carried away" state, I simply became "irrationally carried away" and have remained thus ever since.

It is with this mindset that I write this journal. Not "to" anyone in particular, but rather as an outlet for my "off the deep end" type thoughts as I journey through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment