March 11, 2010

Drowning in sunlight.

Greetings from the deep end!
It would seem that spring is in the midst of springing. My friend’s cold and snow stopped by yesterday but old man sunshine scared them off. Why is it when a couple of well meaning weather patterns try to get together for a party there is always some "sunshine" who comes along and crashes it? The reader might ask at this point, "are you feelin' a little depressed there big D?" My answer would be a solid "NO!" I'm feeling pretty dang good if I do say so myself. But I am a fairly big guy, and sun (heat) and I don't get along. I was the teenager down on the corner in shorts and a t-shirt during a blizzard at 7:00 am waiting for the school bus. I enjoy cold, because I can always turn the heater up or put on more clothes, but a guy can only get so naked before the police get involved.
Then there is the light itself. I like the dark. I loved winters in BC because I never saw the sun! S.A.D made me G.L.A.D. My mother always used to run around the house behind me opening curtains that I had just shut saying things like, "Do you want to live in a cave?" To which my response was always "YES!" as I turned and ran behind her shutting the curtains again. It was a delightful game. One of my favorites. Right up there with the game called, "Clean your room!", "I already did!" and, "Were you born in a barn?", "MOO!” Mom and I, we had some pretty good times. Who needs Monopoly when you have gems like, "You can't get up from the table until you've eaten all of those onions! I swear you will eat them for every meal until they are all gone young man!" I always, always won that game. He he he.
Oh how I digress. I was complaining about the lovely weather wasn't I? I'm not a total freak; I do understand the niceties of summer and "nice" weather. Seriously though, if the weather were "nice" it would be overcast and 65 degrees Fahrenheit every day of the year. That's all I'm asking for here. Just for creation to bend to my will. That's not too much to ask is it?
However, it is the changing of seasons that denotes the passage of time. So bring it on spring! I can take it! This is how we mark new beginnings, and how we learn to let go of the past, as the winter melts away into new life and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment