March 17, 2010

Crabby Baby or GIVE ME SOME FREAKING COFFEE!!!

Greetings from the deep end!
So, there I was, cold tired, not sleeping well...6:30 am. Xander begins to cry. Not a tired cry, not a hurt cry, not a dirty or hungry cry. No, those are all cries that can be answered, things that can be fixed. This was a non-commercial cry. The kind when a kid sucks in a breath, cries until the breath is gone, takes another breath and repeats...indefinitely, almost a yell rather than a cry. "What's wrong Xander?" we ask. "Waaaaah!" he replies. For an hour and a half before we went to work this morning this went on. I want to know, why we are spending all of this time teaching him words if he isn't going to use them.

Its days like this that I thank God for the day care people who can take him so I don't have to (if I had to spend the day with him only one of us would come out alive). And its days like today where I find myself flat on my face in prayer for them. I don't want to get a phone call that says, "Hello, Mr. Brown? We can't take care of Xander anymore. Your boy is crazy and we want no part in his insanity." Oh what a bad day that would be! They are, however, getting paid. What about me? More importantly, what about Pam!?! Who is paying us? Xander sure as crap isn't. THIS IS NOT A FAIR EXCHANGE PEOPLE! The least the boy could do is get us a really good coffee from time to time. At least the caffeine buzz might take the edge off of the nervous tics that have begun to show.

I am a parent. I am one of those whose thankless job goes on and on and on and on and o... We are the zombies at work. We are the grumpy commuters. We are those whose cars were once full of soda cans and fast food wrappers but are now full of sticky spots and crushed up fish crackers. We are ushering in the next generation. I can't wait until Xander is a bit more grown up. Then I am going to wake him up at 6:30 am every now and again and scream into his ear, "Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!" To which he will reply, "What's wrong Dad?" And all I will respond "GET ME SOME FREAKING COFFEE!"

1 comment:

  1. and now you have a second child. oh joy. lol. but you're getting used it bit by bit. soon you'll be able to block it all out and go to your happy place. ^_^

    ReplyDelete