August 27, 2010

Better Than A Fist To The Face

Greetings from the deep end!
So, for about two years now, this day has been approaching. It has been sneaking up very smoothly but very obviously. I honestly don't know how in the world I didn't see it coming. Other than the fact that I am unobservant to a fault when it comes to things of a not-me nature. What can I say? I'm human.

Today, for me, is one of those days where reality and the universe join forces and contrary to popular belief and opinion, prove that I am in fact an adult. This comes as a shock to me. I know it shouldn't, but it does. Especially since it happens so often now a days. I am one of the popular voters who says I am in fact not an adult but rather one who belongs in a lower grade in a middle school somewhere. 12 to 13 years old. 15 tops, and only on a really, really good day. As previously mentioned, however, reality and the stupid universe are here once again to destroy whatever semblance of normalcy in adolescence I once believed I possessed. Today my son, my little baby boy, my little guy, my little dude, turns two.

Parents of children younger than two just cringed at the thought of their little toddler or toddlet becoming a big boy or girl. Parents of older children, or better yet, grandparents all just laughed at me. Thanks for that by the way. You think you are so smart just because you happened to have your kids, keep them alive for more than X amount of years and they happened to have grandkids for you. Doesn't mean you can laugh that the poor blind schmucks like me who would rather sit in our bedroom with our eyes shut watching videos of the kid's first day than accept that they are going to grow up and become big boys and girls. Or even worse... GULP... teenagers.

My parents at this point are probably a little sad that the boy (Xander) is growing up but what they are really thinking is, "That's right boy! This is what you get for getting older, becoming a big boy and then becoming a teenager!" Well, all of you parents that just agreed with what my parents are probably thinking, remember this, every time I have this hit of reality and adulthood, every moment my boy gets older and thereby makes me feel older, you are older as well, by association with me.

With that, I thank you Reality and Universe, for allowing me to not have to go down alone, for allowing others to suffer with me. Because at the end of the day we are all a day older and hopefully a little more grown up, whether we are two, twenty seven or fifty-two.

Oh yea! Congratulations to Me and Pam for keeping a child alive for TWO YEARS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment